The security of a website, be it personal or corporate, must be given the highest priority. Often, a website is your storefront, brand, and in some cases, your first contact with potential customers. An insecure site threatens to compromise an entire business. It can be infected with malware which can spread to any visitor accessing the site causing data or any other transactional information loss. A breach may cause a website to crash and damages a company’s reputation. For these reasons, any website owner must be conversant with the basic principles that define website security. These are integrity, availability, confidentiality, authentication, and accountability. A secure website must:
- Prevent unauthorized users from accessing website data (preserve confidentiality)
- Ensure all web content is not altered to maintain authenticity (preserving integrity)
- Always be available to users
- Use a series of information to identify legitimate users (authentication)
- Have mechanisms for tracing all user activities and identify all their operations (accountability)
Some website security statistics
Currently, there are more than 1.3 billion websites. An estimated 30,000 websites get infected with different types of malwares every day. Websites that have six characters and in lower case can be hacked in 10 minutes. On the other hand, over 90,000 websites are hacked daily. WordPress, a content management site with more than 59.7% of the total market share and an approximate 22.6 million websites, accounts for 83% of total hacked websites. According to an Akamai report, Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks increased significantly. Compared to 2017, the attacks increased by 16%. Also, a new record of 1.35 Tbps in a DDoS attack was recorded. In 2018 alone, a record 7822 DDoS attacks were mitigated. DDoS attacks are where a cyber actor floods a website with numerous fake requests such that it experiences a slower response than normal. In fact, DDoS attacks may cause the website to crash.
Ways through which website security can be compromised
Website security can be breached in many different ways. One of the most common is the placement of a browser hijacker. This is a malware program which modifies the settings of a website without the owner’s permissions. It might allow a cyber actor to replace an entire page. Unidentified vulnerabilities are a danger to website security. In many cases, a cyber actor first identifies the presence of vulnerabilities and exploits them to execute malicious attacks. Vulnerabilities can provide a hacker with multiple entry points into a website.
In addition, integrating third party services such as ad platforms has significant security implications. Attackers create ads laden with malwares and use them as delivery channels both to the website and the visitors. Ads have a plethora of cross-site scripting risks that can inject a secure site with malicious scripts. Through such, a cyber actor can create backdoors and retain unlimited access for as long as he or she wishes. Some website owners also continue using themes and plugins even after their developers have sopped supporting them. This means that they don’t have current security patches and threat definitions and hence lack the capabilities of preventing attacks.
Best security practices for securing your website
- Round the clock monitoring: continuous website monitoring allows for a preventive security approach, which is currently the best way to remain protected. Monitoring for possible malware infection, login information changes, modification or deletion of website files, changes in search engine results, increase or decrease of traffic, and so on keeps you abreast of any security issues.
- Using strong firewalls. A firewall is one of the oldest and best security strategies, Network firewalls prevents intrusions or infection of malwares which can find their way to the website through a network. Web Application Firewalls secures a website through applying a set of defined rules to prevent attacks such as SQL Injection and cross-site scripting.
- Always create strong and unique passwords which cyber actors will find difficult to compromise. The system for resetting passwords must be fully secured.
- Conduct regular risk assessments to identify risks threatening the security of the website. all risks must be managed accordingly.
- Make use of automated web security tools. Cyber Alpha has a cloud based managed web security platform with a lot of excellent features.
How we can help
CyberAlpha has developed a state-of-the-art managed website security platform which beats any other security tool pants down. Through our platform, you have access to loads of features which provides your website with maximum security. The whole platform is based on the cloud, easy to use, and leverages a leading Web Application Firewall (WAF), tools for website monitoring, and services for removing malware. Some of the platform’s features are as described below:
- Cloud based Web Application Firewall monitors the website 24/7 automatically blocking attacks
- The Web Application Firewall protects against DDoS attacks. It blocks an attempted attack and instantly notifies the website owner
- Regular website scanning to detect malware
- Removal of malicious code and programs
- Uptime monitoring with prompt alerts regarding any issues
- Immediate notification in case your website is blacklisted by Google
- Alerting is integrated with other platforms to ensure you get all notifications as quickly as possible.
- Immediate notification when unauthorized configuration changes are made
- Real time dashboard providing insights into the security status of your website
Cyber-attacks targeting websites are bound to increase. As such, any website can be targeted. Every organization must implement proactive measures to ensure the security of its website. With attacks such as DDoS on the rise, it is clear that acquiring the best website security tools and products has become a necessity. An effective product must provide a holistic approach in protecting a website. CyberAlpha website security platform has a cloud-based web application platform, actively monitors for DDoS attacks or any other security issue 24/7, scans for, detects, and removes malwares, and most importantly, keeps a website owner informed of all security issues. This and many other security services makes it the most suitable website security tool.